Minions

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Rules of Play – Literature tip



Game design as we know it, has not been around for all too long. In fact, I am part of the first generation of people who is specifically studying ‘game design’. For the people before me, it was all new ground. And their work was ground breaking(!) We are the first generation that has mentors in the field, and we can and should learn from the mistakes they made and find out what made their games great.

“Rules of Play” is book by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman, both prominent game designers, and is considered by many to be the bible of game design. How important it really is, is open for interpretation. None the less it lays down a lot of the ground work for computer games to be analyzed and discussed so that people can exchange thoughts and ideas on the topic. It also presents many game design fundamentals and is a must read for anyone who hopes of getting anywhere as a game designer.

11 comments:

  1. If it's considered the bible of game design I must check it out. Maybe after reading it I might pursuit a career in game design :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, its a good read and highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, i'll check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds neat, might give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowhere near as interesting or as satisfying you'd imagine it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this book before. I can actually see it on the bookshelf from where I'm sititng :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @t Wayward Disposition: hehe, cool! Are you in the Industry, or did you just buy it out of interest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting- I might seek out this book.

    ReplyDelete